Senior Kinship Program
The Senior Kinship Program offers a one-on-one service in which volunteers provide assistance and friendship to isolated or home-bound seniors throughout Anoka County. Some services include companionship, outings, running errands, and providing medical and non-medical transportation. Through community exposure and interactions with our clients, Senior Kinship Volunteers further ACCAP’s mission by empowering seniors who are low income, assisting them in achieving their dreams and aspirations.
Who is Eligible for Senior Kinship Services?
Clients are referred to the Senior Kinship Program via public health agencies, social service agencies, family members and friends. Clients are also welcome to refer themselves for services. Below is the criteria for receiving Senior Kinship services:
- Must be 60 years of age or older
- Must be a resident of Anoka County
- Is not receiving a waiver
Benefits to Receiving Senior Kinship Services:
- Become more independent in the community
- Receive help with opening mail, writing letters, or reading books
- Receive visits and companionship which helps in reducing isolation, loneliness and depression
- Receive transportation to grocery store, doctor’s appointments, senior organizations, etc.
- Be involved in many other activities with the assistance of a Senior Kinship Volunteer
If you or someone you know is in need of a Senior Kinship Volunteer, please contact 763-783-4745 (click here for a referral form) and we will assist you in obtaining the information needed to begin receiving services.
Criteria for Becoming a Senior Kinship Volunteer:
- Must be 40 years of age or older
- Be willing to volunteer 2 – 10 hours each week (hours vary depending on client demand and volunteer availability)
- Have reliable transportation
- Have a desire to give back to the community and further ACCAP’s mission
- Pass required background check
Benefits to Being a Senior Kinship Volunteer:
- Federal mileage reimbursement rate for transportation (portal to portal)
- Hourly stipend reimbursement
- Orientation, training and volunteer appreciation/recognition
- Lifelong friendships