For those who would like to volunteer to be a companion call 651-310-9459
Senior Kinship Program
The Senior Kinship Program offers a one-on-one service (on a donation-based sliding fee scale – click here to view scale) where volunteers provide assistance and friendship to isolated or homebound seniors throughout Anoka County. Some services include companionship, outings, running errands, and providing medical and non-medical transportation. Through community exposure and interactions with our clients, Senior Kinship Volunteers further ACCAP’s mission by empowering seniors who are low income, assisting them in achieving their dreams and aspirations.
Who is Eligible for Senior Kinship Services?
Clients are referred to the Senior Kinship Program via public health agencies, social service agencies, family members and friends. Clients are also welcome to refer themselves for services. Below is the criteria for receiving Senior Kinship services:
- Must be 60 years of age or older
- Must be a resident of Anoka County
- Is not receiving a waiver
Benefits to Receiving Senior Kinship Services:
· Become more independent in the community
· Receive help with opening mail, writing letters, or reading books
· Receive visits and companionship which helps in reducing isolation, loneliness, and depression
· Receive transportation to grocery store, doctor’s appointments, senior organizations, etc.
· Be involved in many other activities with the assistance of a Senior Kinship Volunteer
If you or someone you know is in need of a Senior Kinship Volunteer, please contact 763-783-4745 and we will assist you in obtaining the information needed to begin receiving services.
Criteria for Becoming a Senior Kinship Volunteer:
· Must be 50 years of age or older
· Be willing to volunteer 2 – 40 hours each week (hours vary depending on client demand and volunteer availability)
· Have reliable transportation
· Have a desire to give back to the community, further ACCAP’s mission
· Pass required background check
Benefits to Being a Senior Kinship Volunteer:
· Federal mileage reimbursement rate for transportation (portal to portal)
· Hourly stipend reimbursement
· Reimbursement for meals during volunteer hours
· Orientation, training, and volunteer appreciation/recognition
· Lifelong friendships